|©️Chiefnerds | College Skincare Routine|
You might think that there is no time for skincare routine when you’re at college. All the classes, obligations, busy social life, traveling back and forward, it can take up so much of your time. But what if someone is to tell you that you just need to devote 3 minutes to your skin and you’ll be all set? This is not a trick. This 3-minute skincare routine can change your life (and skin) around.
Even if you aren't the most beauty-product-oriented person, this routine is something you can do. With a few handy and quick tips your skin will glow and your future self will be forever grateful for it. All you busy girls and boys who are making through that educational jungle called college, here is a skincare routine for you.
Why Skincare is Important?
The most general reason why skincare is something you shouldn’t neglect is to keep your skin healthy. Health demands care whether it is your mental health, your physical health, or your skin.
Proper skincare will help with nourishing the surface layer of skin intact. The skin’s overall hydration and defense against the negative environmental effects depend on how you treat your skin. The sooner you start with skincare the better.
Steven Nwe, DO, a dermatologist with Northwestern Medicine shared why skincare is important, “Investing early in the health of your skin, with regular skincare, will not only better protect it from the harsh effects of winter but also keep you looking and feeling your best throughout the year. The key to skin resiliency is knowing your skin and treating it well."
The wrong presumption is that you need to spend 30 minutes or more a day for a skincare routine. You can take care of your skin in much less time. It is even recommendable that you don’t use excessive products because they can clog your pores and hurt your skin condition.
A few steps in the morning and a few steps in the evening is all you need to maintain a youthful complexion. Remember that the actions you take today affect your future. You might have flawless skin and think that you don’t need to do anything to it, but what will you think ten years from now?
“Skincare doesn’t just impact your current complexion and skin health. It impacts how your skin will age. The steps you take now will make a lasting impression on your skin’s health. What’s crucial is that you stay consistent with skincare and really turn it into a routine,” says Estelle Leotard, and a beauty blogger.
Let's get to specific tips that you can include in your everyday skincare routine. They won't take you more than 3 minutes so it is perfect for college students with lots of obligations.
Before we get to the skincare routines, we have to mention that if you have acne-prone skin and specific products that you use for that purpose, don't neglect that. The following skincare tips are the bare essentials that everyone should apply.
Morning Skincare Routine
Your morning skincare somewhat depends on your night skincare. There are only 3 main products that you should use in the morning. These are the products you need to introduce to your morning skincare routine:
- Cleanser: Using a cleanser in the morning isn't a necessity. It all depends on your skin. Over-cleansing your face can hurt your skin as it will strip away the natural oils. However, if you wake up to oily skin and a splash of water doesn't seem to help, a cleanser is a right fit for you. Make sure that you pick out a cleanser that is gentle and doesn't wash away the skin's natural moisture.
- Toner: After you cleanse or wash your face with water, you should apply a toner. The toner will replenish the skin with nutrients and soothe it. Additionally, it adds a protective barrier and improves your skin tone. Aim for a toner that will help restore the skin's natural pH. As the skin's normal pH falls between 5-6, you should find a toner that is pH-balanced and has those values.
- Moisturizer with SPF: Moisturizer and SPF are like the holy grail of skincare. Moisturizer prevents the skin to dry out and SPF protects the skin from harmful UV rays. The best way to speed up your skincare routine and make less damage to your wallet is to buy a day cream with SPF. Apply this each day. It doesn't matter if it's gloomy outside, if it's winter, or if you have oily skin. Each skin type needs moisturizing and the sun can do damage to your skin even if you don't see it.
Nighttime Skincare Routine
Your nighttime skincare ritual is important because it cleans your skin from all the dirt and makeup. The skin needs to be prepared for the nightly rejuvenating and here's what you should use:
- Micellar water: Use micellar water to remove any makeup. Micellar water is used as a makeup remover and for cleaning the skin. However, if you don't apply makeup and you already use a cleanser you don't need both products. The reason why so many beauty experts are advocates of micellar water is due to its gentle effect on the skin.
- Cleanser: While using a cleanser in the morning isn’t a must, you should definitely use it in the evening. Feel free to use the same gentle cleanser from your morning routine. It will wash away any dirt that’s been piling up on your face during the day and it will remove any traces of makeup.
- Toner: Here’s a copy and paste tip from the morning routine. As we already discussed the benefits of the toner, there is no need for repetition. Just remember to apply the toner in the evening as well.
- Night cream: The last step in your nighttime routine is the night cream. A night cream will supply moisture to your skin, add a boost of collagen to it, and helps with better blood circulation. Finding a good night cream that suits your skin can be life-changing. Therefore, take this task seriously and find the night cream that will be the perfect match.
- Pampering Tips: Every once in a while your skin deserves some pampering. Besides the above mention basic routines, there are a few extra things you can do for your skin. So, here
- Serum: For the extra mile, add a skin serum to your skincare routine. This step isn't for everyone, but you should know the serum can benefit your skin greatly. Their highly-concentrated formulas penetrate into your skin and address your skin problems from within.
- Exfoliant:Once or twice a week you can dedicate a few minutes to improving your skin’s appearance with exfoliating. An exfoliant will get rid of all the skin buildup.
- Eye cream: This is for all you who struggle with under-eye circles should consider using eye cream. The skin around your eyes is extremely sensitive so gently dab the eye cream into the skin.
- Sheet mask: When you decide that it is time to treat your skin, go ahead and buy yourself a sheet mask. There are many different sheet masks with nourishing ingredients. For example, a brightening sheet mask can lighten overtired skin and balance your skin tone.
|©️Chiefnerds | Save to Pinterest|
Daily Habits that Affect Your Skin
How your skin looks don't just depend on nourishing the surface. Everything you put into your body and do on a daily basis reflects on your looks. You can't expect that moisturizer to hides the fact that you've haven't been sleeping for months and that you've been eating 2 chocolates a day.
Your lifestyle habits go hand in hand with your skincare routine. If you need to make some small changes in your lifestyle to improve your skin condition, it is worth it. For that purpose, here are some recommendations that you should welcome to your life if you want healthy skin:
- Drink a lot of water
- Exercise (daily walks will also do the trick)
- Don’t shower for longer than 10 minutes (long showers dry out your skin)
- Get some sleep (this can be a challenge in college but give it your best effort)
- Change the pillowcase as often as you can
- Eat foods that prevent breakouts
- Limit eating the sweets
A quick routine such as this is something that anyone can do. You don't need many products and you don't need to spend hours in front of the mirror. What you do need is to be consistent with this skincare and pick out the products that work best for your skin.
Taking care of your skin now will pay off in the long run. Prevention is cheaper than expensive creams and products you will be purchasing in the future trying to reverse the damage. Healthy skin will boost your confidence and a few minutes a day are worth it.